Wednesday, June 27, 2007

we hate it when our friends become successful

My good friend ZI mentioned me in one of her posts a few weeks back. She was a little annoyed at how good I am at my job or how hard I work or something? Anyway, I'm not bad at my job and I do stay late to get things done sometimes, but I also procrastinate and bitch and moan and spend entire afternoons updating my iPod software.

Also, when the powersthatbe think you're doing a great job, they keep piling more and more work on you, so it's not all wine and roses. It's best to be better than mediocre (because you won't get axed), but not so great that you get noticed. The pay isn't better where I'm at, and the stress is a lot worse. Plus, neither of us give a shit about this work! Why do we spend so much time and energy on it?

Anyway, today I got to feel some jealousy/bitterness, too. ZI casually mentioned that she got tickets to see a band I really like play ACL this week. I think she got the tickets because she is friends with someone in the band, but maybe she went down to UT like the rest of the bungled and the botched and was just lucky. Either way, color me green. Imagine getting to see Explosions play before 1am and not at that club I hate.

I want to say, "dude, share the wealth." But then I'll feel like a mooch. So, I'm passive-agressively posting this instead. She'll have to read it to know I was feeling this way, and maybe by the time she does read it, I won't care anymore.

No comments: